Easter in Georgia | Pilgrimage Tour to Georgia
Easter in Georgia is considered one of the main holidays. In Georgia, people meet this holiday with the most festive mood and the most industrious preparation. Members of every household go to obtain madder roots and onion peels, the combination of which gives Easter eggs, which are traditionally dyed on Red Friday, their trademark vermilion color. Eggs themselves symbolize Christ’s rebirth and eternal life. Another traditional Easter food is paska.
Religious people attend the special Easter Service and spend night in the churches. On Easter Georgians, greet each other with the words “Qriste agsdga” (Christ has risen). The reply should be: “Cheshmaritad agsdga” (Indeed, he has risen).
Tour "Easter in Georgia" is one of the most exciting religious trip for many Christians. Tens of thousands pilgrims on Easter coming to Georgia from around the world to explore the country and take part in the many special events.
We will plunge into the largest Orthodox holiday and get closer to the traditions of the Georgian people. The atmosphere in Georgia on Easter is incomparable. This is an unforgettable and vivid memory for lifetime. Exactly Easter is the best period for pilgrimages and excursions. It is journey into a completely different world with its riddles and secrets.
On the pilgrimage tour “Easter in Georgia” you will visit: Sameba Cathedral, where the Patriarch of Georgia holds Easter services, Svetitskhoveli Cathedral and Kanda Monastery, which is important for the Orthodox world.
Take this 5-day tour of Georgia from tour operator "Batumi Travel" and experience history firsthand! Visit the most important and holy sites of Georgia. Book tour with us, and we took excellent care of you
Excursion program of tour "Easter in Georgia" 5 days / 4 nights
Tbilisi – Mtskheta – Kanda – Tbilisi
You can choose any convenient travel dates. The tour runs all year round. Leave a request, we'll select a tour according to your wishes.
We do not have 100% prepayment. With no deposit required before your arrival. Book Now Pay Later. The price will never rise
Day 1 - Meeting in the airport
Transfer to the hotel. Check in.
Overnight in the hotel in Tbilisi.
Day 2 - Tbilisi guided city tour
Breakfast in the hotel. Sightseeing walking tour in Tbilisi will begin from Trinity Cathedral, which is the largest Christian cathedral in all of Georgia. Sameba has amazing views of Tbilisi and the Cathedral itself and the grounds are beautiful. Catholicos Patriarch of Georgia Ilia II painted several icons and a big image of the Holy Virgin that can be seen at the entrance. There are two floors under the ground where the main shrines are hidden. In the Holy Trinity Cathedral there are three significant shrines: the icon "Hope of Georgia", the cross of St. Nina and the stone of grace by David Gareji.
- Later we will visit Metekhi church. Tbilisi was destroyed around 40 times, and unfortunately, the church was damaged as well. Georgians restore church many times and meny times church changed. Now Metekhi is one of the symbols of Tbilisi that speaks about the history of the city. St. Shushanik is buried in Metekhi Church by King Gorgasali. She was killed by her fire worshipper husband because of the religion in the 5th century. Between Metekhi bridge and the cliff there is a way down to the river. Here in 6-th century on the edge of cliff, was burned Abo of Tiflis. And his bones thrown off a bridge into the Kura River. Abo of Tiflis is patron Saint of the city of Tbilisi.
- Sioni Cathedral - is one of the most remarkable monuments of Georgian architecture. Located near the Old Town, this is a must-visit church in Tbilisi with beautiful surroundings. The frescoes inside are particularly impressive. Both outside and inside are decorated in the orthodox style.
- Anchiskhati basilica - is the oldest surviving church in Tbilisi, dating back to the sixth century. King of Iberia Dachi Ujarmeli, who made Tbilisi the capital of Georgia, built the church. The temple is always dark and the atmosphere is mysterious. The walls are covered with antique frescoes and paintings. This is a very special place and is worth a visit, although internal photographs are not permitted.
Return to the hotel. Overnight in the hotel in Tbilisi
Day 3 - Trip to Mtskheta and Shio Mgvime
Breakfast in the hotel. Today we will visit city-museum under open air - Mtskheta. In older sources, Mtskheta is called the Second Jerusalem. Here, every religious site is a place of pilgrimage for thousands of tourists. Each shrine is important for the Georgian people and lovers of history, religion and architecture. Excursion program we will start from Jvari monastery:
- Jvari monastery - gorgeous monastery is located on a hill opposite Mtskheta. You can be tired of seeing hundreds of churches in the Caucasus, but you will regret if you miss Jvari. This place provides you an outstanding combination of a stunning location, beautiful architecture and a journey in history. Jvari has a lot of historical significance for Georgia as it was the symbolic place for the advent of Christianity in Georgia with St Nino planting a wooden cross at the site of an ancient pagan temple. The icons inside the church are priceless.
- Svetitskhoveli Cathedral - Svetitskhoveli Cathedral is key monument of medieval Georgia. The Historical Monuments of Mtskheta contain archaeological remains of great significance that testify to the high culture in the art of building, masonry crafts, pottery, as well as metal casting and processing, and the social, political, and economic evolution of this mountain kingdom for some four millennia.
- Samtavro monastery - is a famous landmark of Mtskheta. Samtavro monastery is closely connected with the Cappadocian virgin Nina, who brought together the Georgian people and led them to God.
- Shio Mgvime - monastery complex was built in the VI century by the Holy Shio. Shio-Mgvime Monastery is an amazing and a peaceful place, far away from the tourist hustle.
Return to the hotel. Overnight in the hotel in Tbilisi.
Day 4 - Trip to Kanda and Zedazeni monasteries
Breakfast in the hotel. Today we will visit one of the most mysterious places:
- Zedazeni monastery - monastic complex stands in the picturesque Saguramo vicinities. The monastery was established in the 6th century by Assyrian Monks who contributed immensely to the spreading of Christianity throughout Georgia.
- Kanda monastery - here the Holy Liturgy is conducted in Georgian and Aramaic languages, is annually visited by thousands of people. The liturgy is conducted in Aramaic language by Father Seraphim. Today, it is the only church in Christian Orthodox world, where divine services are conducted in these two languages. Thirteen Assyrian Fathers Monastery is the major touristic attraction in this region.
Return to the hotel. Overnight in the hotel in Tbilisi.
Day 5 - Transfer to the airport
Check out. Transfer to Tbilisi airport.
Happy flight and soft landing!
We will be glad to see you again in Georgia
The company reserves the right to change trip schedule and sequence without reducing the tour completeness.
What is included in the tour price?
- Comfortable transport with air conditioning during tour
- Qualified English-speaking guide service
- Accommodation in 3* hotel BB
- Transfer from/to the airport
- All mentioned excursions in tour
- Entrance fees for sights and museums mentioned on the itinerary
- Services Charges & Local Taxes.
What is not included in the tour price?
- Medical insurance
- Meals and drinks
- Visa (if necessary)
- All what is not listed in the paragraph Included in the price
The price of group and individual trips
(The price is given per person in the group)
It is very easy to contact us +995 555 905858 (Viber, Whatsapp). Leave a request, and we will select a tour according to your wishes
Book a trip to Georgia
+995 555 90 58 58 (Viber, Whatsapp)