Day Trip to Mtskheta and Shio Mgvime takes you to the most fascinating ancient monasteries in Georgia. If you are in Tbilisi, seize the day to admire a famous UNESCO World Heritage Site. These monasteries were important cultural centers at various eras, especially during the invaders raids to Georgia. Many of them are home to important religious texts, manuscripts and objects related to the Orthodox religion. You will also get a picturesque view of the surrounding area once you climb the summits of Shio Mgvime Monastery, the perfect opportunity for a souvenir photo!
Experience nature's grandeur and learn about its connection with history, architecture, and spirituality on this one-day tour to Mtskheta and Shio-Mgvime Monastery from Tbilisi!
We do hope that you find the time to explore the rich heritage of Georgia and that your visit will be a rewarding and enjoyable one.
Excursion program of a "Day Trip to Mtskheta and Shio Mgvime":
- Svetitskhoveli Cathedral – the heart of Mtskheta. It was built in the 11th century on the site of the first in the state Christian church of St. Cidonia, built in the 4th century from wood. The founder of Tbilisi, Vakhtang Gorgasali, the ruler of Kakheti Irakli the First, the dynasty of Bagrationi – Georgian kings are buried in the cathedral, in front of the chancel.
- The Samtavro Monastery keeps many sacred objects: St. Nina’s bacon (Makvlovani), part of the Life-giving Pillar Svetitskhoveli, miraculous icons of the Mother of God “Iverskaya” and St. Nina, the relics of St. Abybos of Nekres and Shio of Mgvime.
- Friary Jvari Monastery stands on Mount Armazi. And under the mountain, indeed, the rivers Aragvi and Kura are rustling, merging with green streams. According to the legend, the holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Nino, walking through Georgia with a preaching, put a cross here and a small church was built on the site of the cross in 545.
- Shio Mgvime – an ancient monastery a few kilometers from Mtskheta. The monastery was founded in the 6th century by the monk of Shio, one of thirteen Assyrian fathers.
The company reserves the right to change trip schedule and sequence without reducing the tour completeness.
INCLUDE IN THE PRICE:
- Transport service
- Qualified English-speaking guide service
- Entrance tickets
- Bottle of water
NOT INCLUDE IN THE PRICE:
- The length of the program 6-7 hours
- Comfortable shoes
- Scarf for a churches