Day Trip to Gonio Fortress and Mountainous Adjara is the perfect blend of history and culture. With one day explore the old town, enjoy the view from Gonio Fortress and visit Mountainous Adjara with its waterfalls and untouched nature.
One of the most popular day trips from Batumi is an excursion over to Makhuntseti, located just over an hour away from Batumi. On the way, you will enjoy some of Adjara scenic. This village has graced many a postcard in Adjara, and for good reason. Makhuntseti is nestled in mountains and situated on the shores of Adjaristskali River. The combination of towering mountains, reflective waters, and cute village all make for an extremely photogenic destination.
A day trip to Gonio Fortress and Mountainous Adjara from Batumi has something for every type of traveler. You’ll have a memorable journey and plenty of photos to share when you return home.
Excursion program of a Day Trip to Gonio Fortress and Mountainous Adjara:
- Gonio Fortress - is one of the oldest fortresses located 12 km far from Batumi. According to the ancient Greek legend, the name Apsaros comes from the myth of the Argonauts. The fortress was a powerful citadel of the Roman and later Byzantine Empire due to its good location. The rich history of the fortress still keeps many secrets and mysteries. So it attracts scientists and archaeologists from all over the world.
- Not far from the Georgian-Turkish border there is a small waterfall and a statue of St. Andrew the First-Called. According to tradition, he built here the first temple and ordained the first priests.
- The charm of today’s excursion is the Mountainous Adjara. Stop in the mountains at the confluence of the river Chorokh and Adjaristkali.
- Arched bridge – stretching over the unpredictable mountain river Adjaristkali, rise the stone bridge of Queen Tamara. The bridge, founded in the 12th century, conveyed to us his sad story.
- Makhuntseti waterfall pearl of Adjara, which falls from the top of the mountain in a huge stone bowl. It is difficult to tear your eyes from an unforgettable spectacle.
The company reserves the right to change trip schedule and sequence without reducing the tour completeness.
INCLUDE IN THE PRICE:
- Transport Service
- Qualified English-speaking guide service
- Entrance fees
- Bottle of water
NOT INCLUDE IN THE PRICE:
- The length of the program 6-7 hours
- Comfortable shoes